Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Nature in Bergen County

W_02450Diddlbiker's father-in-law got himself a bird feeder. That doesn't mean that you will get birds, though. Those dinosaur-descendants are very, very careful and seem to have a sixth sense when it comes to photography: they will simply not show up.

The good news is that those dang squirells have no problem with biped mammals at all, so while I was sitting outside in the blistering heat, there was at least something that I could take pictures of. An FIY for my European friends: squirells are not looked upon kindly in this country. They are as much enjoyed as pigeons in large European cities. So, in analogy of winged rats one could call them rats with fluffy tails.
So, why the picture of the squirell? This would be a great moment to quote Ansel Adams, or Cartier Bresson, about photographing the ordinary, but the truth is: they are adorable creatures to photograph!

W_02453So what about the birds? Eventually they got used to me and a couple of birds did show up. Thanks to Birds of the Mid-Atlantic I am able to find out what bird this is: a Mourning Dove. Just like in Dutch, American bird names are weird. I mean, you might think "tjiftjaf" and "lepelaar" are weird names, but what about "Grackle" or "Tufted Titmouse"?

W_02454I got even luckier after a few more minutes when another rare bird showed up, in this case a House Sparrow. I even managed to get them into a single frame! Without being sarcastic, there are a lot of interesting birds to be seen - I just never carry my camera with me when I see them (which is rare). So far I have seen:
  • Pelican (in Charleston)
  • Turkey Vultures (lots)
  • Eagles (not bald)
  • Cardinals (without bats)
And of course a whole list of ducks, warblers, sparrows, geese and other common birds.

And one day I will get a picture of that special bird. It will just take a while - I'm not a bird watcher after all.

No comments: