Friday, August 18, 2006

An unexpected vacation encounter

The last thing I expected to see at my vacation at the shore (my hair cutter explained to me that in New Jersey you refer to 'the shore', in NYC you refer to 'the beach'. I told him that as a Dutch-born, I should refer to that sandy strip as 'the beach' but he replied "You're in Jersey now") was a real live shark.
Granted, most people - including me - will think of 'shark' as an 800 pound killing machine as seen in Jaws, and not the shrimp-like creature (this picture, courtesy of Cabo Yachts, is a good example of the monster that I saw) that I saw, but still.
This was a live shark, with tail, fins, gills, eyes, teeth, the whole thing.
A f##ing shark!
In New Jersey!
The family sitting next to us at the beach came with it out of the water. Probably lost and stunned by the (relative) cold water temperature. I heard that it was probably a Sand Shark (hence the picture of one), but I can't be sure about that - except that it really was a shark.

No comments: