Saturday, May 20, 2006

Back from hibernation

Actually, Diddlbiker didn't hibernate, he was just very busy. I'm not a ! So, what kept me so busy?
Mainly work - a few business trips to Charlotte, NC, a place that I yet have to see under a clear blue sky. The last trip had a Semi Flight From Hell on the way back, more about that in a second.
My blogging plan for the coming weeks is to write a lot about Python. I did a lot of coding in it, and yesterday was the magical day where I Saw The Light. What light? At the end of the tunnel? The one in the basement that allways burns out? Nope - the same light that Jake of the Blues Brothers saw. Exactly - that light. I'm now Enlightened in How To Write Pythonian code - but that will be subject for another blog.

So, what about the Flight From Hell? I was supposed to fly with a colleague on the 19:30 back to Newark, but I never saw him. The flight was heavily delayed, due to thunderstorms over Newark - and according to my wife, the sky in northern Jersey was as clear as glass. So, the pilots explained to us that the thunderstorms would be there when we'd land, and that nobody really understands what Washington traffic control is thinking anyway.
We finally boarded around 22:00, and were warned that take-off would only be at 23:11 - but we had to clear the gate for an incoming flight. Most passengers had already canceled and stayed in a hotel at that point, so the flight was very empty and service was good.
We landed in Newark around 0:30, in thunderstorms, just as traffic control had told us - thunderstorms that started when we got there - if our flight wasn't delayed for four hours, we would have been fine!

And my colleague? He was "lucky" enough to get a seat on the 18:00 flight (completely booked full of course), selfishly not thinking about me. His punishment: their flight sat on the tarmac for three and a half hours before leaving at 21:30. Now, that was a real Flight From Hell...

No comments: