Sunday, April 09, 2006

Another short ride

The weather was bad Saturday. Lots of rain, hail, snow (you cannot imagine what kind of interesting stuff was dumped on the Diddlmobile), so it didn't look like Sunday was going to be better.
Well, it did! Although it was freezing (and I was cursing myself for not checking the temperature, assuming the same summer-like temperatures that we had last week), the ride turned out great.
Of course, there was the temperature. Wearing fingerless gloves was not recommended (question, after careful inspection of the pictures, can you derive who was the stupid individual that decided to leave his house at 7:30 in the morning with fingerless gloves? Hint - if you cant see anybody, it must be the guy holding the camera...) But luckily, the temperature rose a full 2 degrees (Fahrenheit) during our ride, so it became slightly more bearable for those with fingerless gloves. Did I mention the temperature?
Taking the pictures was fun by the way. You can see us here riding on Blanche, right before I peel off onto Old Tappan Road to go home. Not a lot of traffic, and the smile, you're on candid camera effect did miracles for everybodies expression.
Going back was fun as well - I was able to keep up with traffic in Dumont, doing between 25 and 30 mph (40 to 50 kmh for those in Europe). It makes it a lot easier if you're no longer an obstacle on the road but just another vehicle, although my legs started to give away by the time I reached the Armory in Bergenfield. Still, it is great to see that working out in the gym has so much effect! The legs got better pretty quick and the ride home went just as smooth as the inbound leg. Total distance: 33 miles - not a lot, but I've been limited on time sofar, and last year I used that as an excuse for not riding, not this year! Tomorrow probably no blog, I'll be home late from work for a two day class.

No comments: