Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Earth calling Tranquility base...


Finally, after many tries, I managed to get a proper shot of the moon. Sure, I've seen pictures taken with the bigger brother (400mm) of my telephoto lens, handheld (Hail, Minolta Anti-Shake), but I've learned that -at least with the 300mm lens- there are a couple of things you'll need for great pictures:
  • Great weather. Preferably cool weather, giving a crisp, bright sky. I didn't even bother to go outside on damp nights.
  • Full moon. Much better than first and last quarter
  • Tripod - in itself you can shoot reasonable pictures without it, but the tripod really makes everything a lot easier (see below)
  • Spot-metering. Unless you want to go fully manual or bracket every single option. The moon is frightingly bright and anything else than spotmetering will overexpose badly. Metering is a lot easier with the tripod, since the camera is pointed to the light source all the time.
  • Small aperture. It shouldn't matter, but an increased DOF helps to get the image sharper. Don't overdo it; f/36 makes the picture actually fuzzier.
  • Low ISO. With the tripod there are no worries about long exposures. Not that you have to worry about exposure time a lot - this picture was shot with 1/250
At least I can stop shooting the moon for now. That is, until I get my hands on that 500mm reflector lens...

No comments: