Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Stuff! Stuff! New Stuff!

I was confronted with an unpleasant discovery during my photoshoot this weekend: dust! Notice how I'm writing 'discovery' and not 'surprise' - dust on the sensor is a given with DSLR's, and the question is when, and not if.
The good news was that the dust particle (a dark zit of about 10 pixels across) dislodged itself, so it only showed up on three or four pictures. The bad news was that it confronted me with the facts: I had to get something to get rid of dust, and the sooner the better.
There are numerous options to clean your sensor of course. Some are not that good, others are very good at cleaning your sensor, but carry the risk of doing some serious damage. So I opted for the cheap option: an air blower, that should allow me to get rid of at least the biggest dust balls. Once I'm familiar with the cleaning procedure I can think about investing in a swab kit.
Since you're paying only once for postage, I decided to acquire a nice bean bag as well. This one is called 'the red pod', probably because it is, well, eh, red. The screw to attach your camera to seemed like a nice feature, although it doesn't work now that I have the tripod quick release covering the screw mount. But the screw doesn't protrude too much so it will not pose a problem.
What to do with the bean bag? It will work good as an improvised base for shooting pictures from the grond, from tables, etc. You can point the camera in a lot of directions since the pod is soft, flexible and moldable. Besides that, I needed something to fill up that ugly hole in my camera bag - the lens is fixed, but the camera isn't and I don't like that idea.
Next on the shopping list: probably bigger memory

No comments: