Friday, April 07, 2006

Sram powerlink

The best way to clean your bike chain is by taking it off your bike, and dumping it in a bucket with solvent. Gasoline will do fine, but if you don't have garage (like me), storing it might be bothersome. Besides that, gasoline is $2.50 per gallon ($0.66 per liter) now - way too expensive to use as cleaner. I choose to use Simple Green instead.
As good as the theory may sound, there is one problem. Every time you use the chain punch to open and close links, the chain gets weaker since the connection of the pin to the hole is deformed. This is where the powerlink (see picture right) comes in play. Don't think this is a new invention - single speeds and bikes with geared hubs use special closing links for decades (see below)
The old-style links need a screwdriver to be opened; the modern powerlinks can be opened by hand. At least, that is the theory. It takes some practice an supernatural powers to open the link after using it on your chain for the first time. Over time, opening and closing gets easier - I guess a combination of simply getting better at it, getting into the habit of soaking the link in grease before closing it (so it doesn't weld together) and a little bit of wear that makes it -even slightly helps a lot- easier to open it.

The trick is to push the plates together, and then move the two pins of the powerlink towards each other. If the powerlink doesn't cooperate, using pliers helps as well - although using them is not recommended. In case you do decide to use the heretic pliers. but the beaks on opposite corners of the powerlink and squeeze carefully. Another technique is to use some metal wire (hangers from the dry cleaner?) to keep links left and right of the powerlink together, thus removing tension from the chain. Of course, you could also lift the chain of the cogs to remove tension, that's what I do. It's a lot easier!

So, soak the chain. I always start with a couple of baths in plain water to get rid of most of the dirt and grit. Then I switch to Simple Green, until there is no more black gunk coming of the chain. And finally, soak the chain in boiling water. Keep it in the boiling water for a couple of minutes and then lift it out of the water (you still have that clothes hanger around somewhere, don't you?). Since the chain is boiling hot, water will evaporate very quickly and your chain will be dry (even at the inside) in a couple of minutes. Swing it a couple of times around, just to get rid of the last water, put it back on the bike and put the powerlink back (I mentioned before - grease it, so it comes off easier next time). Oil the chain (I recommend Prolink lubricant) and off you go!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was out on a ride one Saturday with the RoadDawgs and we went on that wonderful stretch of road that goes through the Old Tappan reservoir. When we came up to Rivervale Road one of our group had dropped his chain.

It literally broke in half and was laying on the ground. As he was getting ready to call his sag wagon (wife) I noticed another small part laying on the ground that could have come from his bike. I recognized it as the Powerlink so I told him to hold off on the phone call for a few minutes while we searched for the other half of the link. We did find it and since I was the only one in the group familiar with this I put his chain back together and he continued the ride.

I did not have gloves with me and his chain was filthy dirty. This was probably the root cause of the chain coming apart in the first place!

Thanks for the tip and I'll see you on the road...

charlie

Diddlbiker said...

You're lucky there. I lost one powerlink last year when I was cleaning my bike in the back yard. It was windy and the wind literally blew them off the stool I used as a small table.

I wasn't able to find one part of the link in the high grass. I did learn that you can order them seperately, so I bought a whole bunch of them.

What's the point of having a powerlink if your bike chain is filthy? You have the thing in the first place to keep the chain clean!